Effective Discipline Program
Northern Frontiers Counselling Cairns offers a four-session educational counselling program for parents and care-providers. Our Senior Counsellor and Parenting Consultant, Melinda Bailey, believes the foundation of effective parenting is Trust and Respect. Melinda takes a practical, protective approach to discipline – one which involves asking questions about techniques used in the home and actively counselling parents and care-providers about the purpose of discipline, whilst discouraging all forms of physical punishment and emotional abuse.
Intake and Assessment
• Family details including age and developmental stage of each child.
• What is the parent’s understanding of and attitude towards discipline?
• Parenting style.
• What types of discipline are used by the parent?
• Difficulties arising from disciplinary action used by the parent?
• Is the parent experiencing any life stressors and if so, how are they managed?
Discipline can be seen as a process whereby parents and other care-providers impart knowledge and provide behavioural guidance by setting limits and imposing consequences. This assists in providing the foundation for self-control by the child. Discipline is often confused with punishment and control by the parent/care-provider, however, there are critical differences that should be recognised.
Characteristics of Effective Discipline
- Carried out by an adult who has a close bond with the child
- Age and developmentally-appropriate
- Timely – carried out at the time of the act requiring change
- Understood and considered fair by the child
- Enhancing – conducive to self-discipline by the child
Reasonable Rules and Realistic Consequences
• Knowledge of age-appropriate behaviours and developmental needs
• Make age-appropriate statements of achievable behaviours
• Frequent positive reinforcement of desired behaviours
• Make allowances for individuality and temperament
• Mean what you say – enforce consequences
• Be consistent and avoid arguing with the child
• Importance of being a good role model
• Prioritise rules – Safety first (the child’s/parent’s/other people and animals/property)
Types of Discipline
• TIME OUT and TIME IN
• Reasoning – anticipate and prevent undesirable behaviour
• Physical punishment – associated with negative child outcomes – parents to take time out before returning to discipline the child using non-violent means
• Tailored Discipline – Infants and Toddlers – Toddlers to School Age – Adolescents
* Sessions last for 50 minutes and cost $110 for 1 attendee or $130 for two attendees, per session. 10% discount applies when paying for all 4 sessions at once prior to program commencement.
Ready to explore new horizons?
Get in touch with our team to discover what it is you're looking for. Let's talk!
Send us a message!
We'll be in touch shortly.
75 Digger St,
Cairns North QLD 4870
Mobile: 0419 531 269 (text messaging available)
LiveChat: If you have any questions about our services and don't have time to ring or email, feel free to use the LiveChat function (bottom right of this page).
Mon-Fri: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm