Effective Discipline Program
Northern Frontiers Counselling Cairns offers a four-session educational counselling program for parents and care-providers. Our Senior Counsellor and Parenting Consultant, Melinda Bailey, believes the foundation of effective parenting is Trust and Respect. Melinda takes a practical, protective approach to discipline – one which involves asking questions about techniques used in the home and actively counselling parents and care-providers about the purpose of discipline, whilst discouraging all forms of physical punishment and emotional abuse.
Intake and Assessment
• Family details including age and developmental stage of each child.
• What is the parent’s understanding of and attitude towards discipline?
• Parenting style.
• What types of discipline are used by the parent?
• Difficulties arising from disciplinary action used by the parent?
• Is the parent experiencing any life stressors and if so, how are they managed?
Discipline can be seen as a process whereby parents and other care-providers impart knowledge and provide behavioural guidance by setting limits and imposing consequences. This assists in providing the foundation for self-control by the child. Discipline is often confused with punishment and control by the parent/care-provider, however, there are critical differences that should be recognised.
Characteristics of Effective Discipline
- Carried out by an adult who has a close bond with the child
- Age and developmentally-appropriate
- Timely – carried out at the time of the act requiring change
- Understood and considered fair by the child
- Enhancing – conducive to self-discipline by the child
Reasonable Rules and Realistic Consequences
• Knowledge of age-appropriate behaviours and developmental needs
• Make age-appropriate statements of achievable behaviours
• Frequent positive reinforcement of desired behaviours
• Make allowances for individuality and temperament
• Mean what you say – enforce consequences
• Be consistent and avoid arguing with the child
• Importance of being a good role model
• Prioritise rules – Safety first (the child’s/parent’s/other people and animals/property)
Types of Discipline
• TIME OUT and TIME IN
• Reasoning – anticipate and prevent undesirable behaviour
• Physical punishment – associated with negative child outcomes – parents to take time out before returning to discipline the child using non-violent means
• Tailored Discipline – Infants and Toddlers – Toddlers to School Age – Adolescents
* Sessions last for 50 minutes and cost $110 for 1 attendee or $130 for two attendees, per session. 10% discount applies when paying for all 4 sessions at once prior to program commencement.
Ready for a new direction?
Make contact with our Reception and discuss your unique situation today. Call 1300 90 81 70, text message via mobile 0419 531 269, email email@example.com or use the online chat feature at the bottom right of this webpage.
Send us a message!
We'll be in touch shortly.
75 Digger St,
Cairns North QLD 4870
Mobile: 0419 531 269 (text messaging available)
LiveChat: If you have any questions about our services and don't have time to ring or email, feel free to use the LiveChat function (bottom right of this page).
Mon-Fri: 7.30 am – 5:00 pm.
Please note: Northern Frontiers Mediation & Counselling Cairns provides private and confidential services. To ensure client confidentiality all bookings are strictly by appointment only therefore we do not accept unannounced requests for service, including for new enquiries.