Senior Counsellor and Parenting Consultant, Melinda Bailey, believes the foundation of effective parenting is
Trust and Respect. Melinda takes a practical, protective approach to discipline – one which involves asking
questions about techniques used in the home and actively counselling parents and care-providers about the
purpose of discipline, whilst discouraging all forms of physical punishment and emotional abuse.
Intake and Assessment
• Family details including age and developmental stage of each child.
• What is the parent’s understanding of and attitude towards discipline?
• Parenting style
• What types of discipline are used by the parent?
• Difficulties arising from disciplinary action used by the parent?
• Is the parent experiencing any life stressors and if so, how are they managed?
‘A process whereby parents/care-providers impart knowledge and provide behavioural guidance by setting limits and imposing consequences – thereby instilling the foundation for self-control by the child. Often confused with punishment and control by the parent/care-provider’.
Characteristics of Effective Discipline
- Carried out by an adult who has a close bond with the child
- Age and developmentally-appropriate
- Timely – carried out at the time of the act requiring change
- Understood and considered fair by the child
- Enhancing – conducive to self-discipline by the child
Reasonable Rules and Realistic Consequences
• Knowledge of age-appropriate behaviours and developmental needs
• Make age-appropriate statements of achievable behaviours
• Frequent positive reinforcement of desired behaviours
• Make allowances for individuality and temperament
• Mean what you say – enforce consequences
• Be consistent and avoid arguing with the child
• Importance of being a good role model
• Prioritise rules – Safety first (the child’s/parent’s/other people and animals/property)
Types of Discipline
• TIME OUT and TIME IN
• Reasoning – anticipate and prevent undesirable behaviour
• Physical punishment – associated with negative child outcomes – parents to take time out
before returning to discipline the child using non-violent means
• Tailored Discipline – Infants and Toddlers – Toddlers to School Age – Adolescents
* Sessions last for 60 minutes and cost $110 per session. 10% discount applies when paying for all 4 sessions at once prior to programme commencement.
Ready to explore new horizons?
Get in touch with our team to discover what it is you're looking for. Let's talk!
Send us a message!
We'll be in touch shortly.